6/8/14

Sat 6/7 - AM 50 minutes incl. 4 mile road race

The sandbag tour marches on. In fact this was the best outcome I could have possibly hoped for given recent events, namely the white night Thursday into Friday. It seemed like a decent idea at the time I signed up for this race about a week ago but not exactly thrilled about it as I was driving in. Felt more like a fool's errand. Found myself unable to muster the motivation to warm up properly which meant I toed the line with maybe 3 minutes of jogging and a few half-hearted drills under my belt. Don't try this at home kids. Very nearly dropped in the first 100m by two youngsters, one of whom was wearing the fashionable and very large headphones popular with the kids these days. I was more concerned about the other one who looked like an actual runner. Thought I might be a dead duck but hung in there and hoped they would slow at some point. In fact this took less than five minutes to happen and I found myself sidling up to the lead before the mile mark. Given the course had a second mile that was relentlessly uphill, this isn't what I had in mind. Nonetheless, by halfway I found myself out in front and from there it was keep away. First and second mile both around 5:45, even though the second mile had significant climbing. Third mile supposedly under 5:30 although I doubt it, fourth mile close to six minutes. While I did slow up near the very end I think the third mile marker may have been a bit off. Not that any of it matters. Right thigh and hamstring started to twinge on the third mile and the downhill last mile didn't do it any favors. Cooldown was quite easy and took place well after the race itself. Very warm and sunny conditions, prelude to a fairly hot but dry day.

No comments: