4/28/14

Sun 4/27 - AM/PM - 80 minutes incl. 5k, 10k

Another Groton double. Slower than last year in the 5k, faster in the 10, right leg absolutely shredded afterward. After feeling like I might be flat and listless during the warmup felt pretty good in the 5k, mile splits of 5:15 and 10:40. Worked the second mile to ensure at least old fart prize money. Got popped going up the only major hill in the third mile. Decided to stay put rather than give chase in hopes of saving something for the 10k later, going against my usual method in doubling situations of letting it all hang out in the first race and letting the back half suffer if need be. Right leg felt decent throughout the 5k as well, I had hopes it would hold up well to the entire thing. 10k started out much faster than I would have liked as I felt obligated to match the pace of the people I would be competing for in the old fart category. As it turns out I couldn't keep up with either of them, a fact that became clear by 4 miles and led to a fifth mile that was disinterested at best. Splits of 5:37, 5:41, 5:47, 6:00, 6:25, and just over 7:30 for the last 2k. Hamstring and calf shriveled up into a ball of spasm soon after finishing, also very tired such that the cooldown was as slow as any I've ever done. Barely faster than a walk in fact. The leg only got worse as the day progressed with the calf fairly useless. Variable weather conditions, started out cold and windy before the 5k with some sun during the 10k followed by cold showers right after I finished. The wind was a constant annoyance but could have been worse. Overall meager returns compared to previous years but that's the new normal. The magical 17 minute barrier will have to wait another week at least.

No comments: