7/26/13

Thu 7/25 - PM 55 minutes incl. 5k road race

Return to Long Island for a second crack at the Harborthon. If only the wholly unimpressive time was representative of a relaxed low key effort but such wasn't the case. Many mitigating factors as usual, with fatigue and the right leg leading the way again as usual. As an added bonus, the left calf became very tight during the warmup, possibly because my racing flats were the only shoes I brought with me. As for the race itself I was pushed much more than I would have liked the entire first half, only one to beat but he put in various extremely annoying surges that succeeded in putting me into early oxygen debt. Able to weather the storm and put in my own surge from roughly 1.5 to 2.5 that ended the suspense. I had hoped on being able to cut back near the end if able and in fact I was able to back off before turning the final corner for a semi-sprint to the line. First two miles each went in around 5:25, third mile noticeably slower but didn't feel that much easier even with the intentional gearing down. Feeling tired, and right leg awkward. Course had a bit more roll than I remembered from two years ago. Weather didn't cooperate, clammy and cool all day with rain arriving just as I left to make the trek from Alewife to the ferry. Varied in intensity but something was falling pretty much the entire time, and a fairly persistent ill wind blowing as well which meant a headwind for the second half of the race. Brief very easy cooldown with a longish break to check out the remains of the fort or whatever it is on the north end of the island. The venue is beguiling enough to have enticed me back but I don't know that I'll be doing this event again, we'll see.

No comments: