5/31/13

Thu 5/30 - double, 2 hrs. total

AM - 90 minutes on the Bend trails east of downtown. Not sure what the area's called but it was highly recommended by the locals. While I took a wrong turn that resulted in a shorter run than planned with more backtracking than I wanted, the trails didn't disappoint. Fat tire paradise with singletrack that's the definition of "flowy" for the most part. After finally getting something resembling a decent night's sleep with no rain overnight, feeling more energetic and the pace eventually got going at least somewhat. Some twinges in the right calf kept it from getting too fast though.

PM - 30 minutes, Pilot Butte. Had vague notions of doing something involving drills and strides but instead I decided to check out the local volcanic mound which was blocks away from where I was doing my laundry. Very compact stratocone, I wasn't sure if there were even trails on it when I started to head up the main road for cars. Noticed a path off to the side and took it. Then took an offshoot of that path which got me to the summit in barely over 10 minutes, most of it being crushingly steep. Took a more gradual, humane route back down after a leisurely break to take some pictures.

 view from the bottom
 and the top
 Mt. Jefferson
 Three Sisters
 Blue Mountains
 Newberry Volcano

No comments: