4/7/13

Sat 4/6 - AM 60 minutes incl. 8k road race

Not expecting much, results even more underwhelming than expectations. While there hasn't been much running the past two days, lots of traipsing around and some bike riding around TO thrown in for good measure. After yesterday morning's run and lunch I was desperately in need of a long nap and instead I spent the afternoon at the museum, then directly to the baseball game. By the time I went to bed it was after midnight and I was totally fried. Still woke up by 7 AM of course without trying or wanting to. Warmup was greatly extended and included roughly 4k on the bike to the most distant docking station and then another 4k walking to the park. Nice enough stroll but doubtful the best way to prep for a race. Completed most of the rest of the warmup although drills were rushed a bit. Splits by km:

3:12
3:18
3:25
3:35
3:25
3:30
3:31
3:50 (uphill but still)

 Promised myself I'd hold something back the fast first 2k for later on. Found myself in no-man's land soon after halfway though, with the surprisingly thin field colloidally dispersed ahead and behind me. With no chance of moving up, the last 3k was just playing out the string. Settled into a 3:30 rhythm (a number familiar enough from the other day in the wind tunnel) until the final, less than triumphant climb in the last 500m. Saw the last km split on my watch in the finish chute and had to laugh. All in all, same old story of being too tired going in to be able to do anything. At least the right leg held together better than expected, calf sore afterward though. Accessing and/or building fitness isn't really happening with the overextended schedule I've chosen to undertake. Cramming a bit too much into vacation time it would seem. Chilly conditions but not much wind thankfully.

No comments: