12/10/12

Sun 12/9 - AM 60 minutes incl. 5k road race

The 2012 sandbagging season comes to a close. Busier than it probably should have been but I'm unable to resist the lure of cheaply earned prize money and merch. Having won this race at a canter the past two years I was hoping for a repeat but it wasn't to be. It only takes one and one showed up, became clear by the mile mark that he wasn't going anywhere. By about halfway a gap of a couple of seconds was established. I harbored hopes of rallying on the gradual hill just after 2 miles, but didn't reel him in nearly enough and ended up getting stomped on in the last 400m. The fastest I've run on this course and likely the fastest I'll ever do. Calf hung in there well enough after feeling stiff on the warmup slipping on wet leaves and rocks in the Stony Brook trails. Didn't notice it during the race though and not acting up on me too badly during the cooldown. However, progressively stiffened up over the rest of the afternoon. Relatively mild temperatures, some wind but not a determining factor.

No comments: