10/11/12

Wed 10/10 - PM 40 minutes incl 2x4k

Something better than nothing, as they say. After a delightful afternoon spent getting drenched in a miserable rain at the kiddies' meet, parked next to the Maynard track at just before 7. Parked at the track in Maynard because I knew if I parked in my driveway I wouldn't be making it up the street. Warmup consisted of jogging 200m around the track while trying to decide what the hell I was going to do for some type of threshold workout. Settled on 2x4k in the midst of doing the first 4k. Very well thought-out in advance, the super late start had me quite frazzled and rushing about mindlessly. Soon after settling on the number and distance of reps, decided to pick up the pace with each km. Planning on taking splits at each kilo for later reference but I missed the line on the first split. As a result took splits at 1600 and 3200 instead for the first rep. Splits as follows:

5:58
5:38
2:44 (14:20 tot)

3 minute recovery then the second one, which I was able to split each km:

3:38
3:30
3:25
3:17 (13:50 tot)

Considering I wasn't checking the watch after the second lap or so of each rep, the cutdown in pace went as well as I could have hoped. Working hard but not killing myself by the end of each one. Cooldown not quite as brief as the warmup but still not exactly optimal, on the order of 6 minutes or so. Aforementioned rain had finally stopped by the time I got going after a day of obnoxious showers, with a NW wind starting to scoop things out.

No comments: