6/24/12

Sat 6/23 - AM 60 minutes incl. 5k road race

Victim of a group effort, taken out by a pair of extranjeros who patiently bided their time the first half the race before both passed me and gradually pulled away. Spent that first half of the race trying to probe for weaknesses but in the end only exposed my own. Tried to maintain contact for a possible final push but by 2.5 miles or so it was clear they weren't coming back. I took a peek back and saw no one in sight behind me and then gave up for good the last 600m or so and practically jogged it in. Somewhat surprised by the final time, thought it would be slower. The course is certainly not the easiest, what with the steady gradual climb in the first mile and some rollers after that. I still don't think of myself as being nearly the same shape as a year ago when I was able to win this thing, but the fitness gap might not be as vast as originally thought. At least as disappointing as getting worked over was the right calf stiffening up on the cooldown after not giving me much trouble during the warmup or race itself. I'm afraid to do hill drills on it right now and wearing trail-appropriate shoes for runs in the woods is off the table which sucks. Woke up to a driving rain, which continued for the drive down and the warmup before subsiding. Still disgustingly humid though of course. By the time the awards ceremony was over the sun had come out and the temp zoomed up. By late afternoon t-storms were popping up all over the place, probably the same damn water that had fallen in the morning evaporated back into clouds during the heat of the day. This prevented me from doing some form of light PM workout that would have involved a dip in the pond, which was doubly disappointing since the same damn thing kept me out of the pond yesterday. I was so tired by then though it might have been for the best to take a miss.

No comments: