5/21/12

Sun 5/20 - AM 55 minutes incl. 5k road race

Nothing like the hair of the dog. Second weekend in a row of backing up a Saturday evening track meet with a Sunday morning road race. Surviving last weekend (although it probably affected the 10k negatively) emboldened me sufficiently to give this a try. Almost overslept but got there in time to run the course as a warmup, under rapidly warming sunny skies. From the start it looked like I might be able to run away and hide until I realized at the mile mark I was being stalked by one guy. He made the pass at halfway, and it was over by 2 miles. Still, I waited another mile before packing it in for good and jogging home. I chose wisely from a sandbagger perspective though, so not winning outright was not that big a deal. Later on in the day I found out to my chagrin that a similar effort would have won the race in Stow, a sandbagger special from years past that had become dominated by the d-grade Kenyans from Lowell the past couple of years, but not this year. Had I known I could have saved myself the drive. Oh well. I toyed with the idea of an easy shakeout jog in the afternoon, but instead went for a paddle on the Assabet with a short hike thrown in as well.

No comments: