5/20/12

Sat 5/19 - PM 70 minutes incl. track 10k

Thoroughly, utterly mediocre. After last week's 5k in the heat and wind I figured I was good for a time between 32:30 and 33:00 but I was wrong. Kind of galling given that the weather was better this time around, cooler thanks to later start time and less wind to deal with. I did have to spend most of the race running alone or at least with no one in front of me, but that couldn't have been worth more than 5-10 seconds overall. Given the overall even pacing, it sure looks like this was an effort representative of my current fitness. Of course, overdoing it with the sandbag racing is a major factor but I'm unable to leave that alone. In particular, I feel like I only narrowly avoided getting stuck in a massive stale rut following the Groton races, and followed that up with a solid chain of too-late bedtimes. When it came time to toe the line, I knew better than to go out faster than 78 and right from the first 200m this strategy was confirmed. Kilometer splits:

3:15.6
3:17.0
3:20.0
3:20.6
3:23.2  - 16:36
3:21.0
3:21.1
3:21.8
3:18.3
3:15.3 - 16:37

the slow fifth km came as a result of following behind someone who was rapidly fading mid-race, as he usually does. Knew better than to stick there but didn't want to shove out on my own that early. No choice but to do so though. Got some help near the end from being lapped which is part of the reason for the pace increase there. The final km bookended the first but didn't feel anything like it of course. Isn't that always the way.

No comments: