3/26/12

Sun 3/25 - AM 60 minutes incl. 5k road race

Productive visit to the picturesque streets of West Lynn. Felt sluggish from the jump after a less than restful night's sleep, which was an ongoing theme through the warmup and race itself. Course was mostly flat with one reasonable but not overly steep hill at about 1000m. Felt smooth but legs heavy. Got some separation from the field, such as it was, by the time I reached the hill and spent the rest of the race playing keepaway. Although I was working harder at it than I would have liked. Tried to throw in some blind corner surges in the first half of the race before realizing that I ran the risk of burying myself in the process. Went with a steady effort after that. The fact that the course turned into the prevailing wind made this a no-brainer. At 2 miles it seemed like the race was in the bag, I thought I would back off a bit in the last half mile. Again, this was better in theory than in practice. I was able to coast in the final .1 of a mile at least. Didn't bother to take splits although it would have been interesting to see. Overall a bit faster than I expected given the underlying fatigue and the wind. Cooldown a slow jog along the abandoned rail bed near the GE plant. Pretty as a postcard.

No comments: