1/20/12

Thu 1/19 - PM 55 minutes incl. mile-1320-880

Pushing the envelope, almost but not quite to an inadvisable degree. Planning on doing the mile-12-8-4 cutdown with 2-4 200s tacked on as well. Ideally the first two reps quasi-tempoish and getting closer to 3k and perhaps mile pace after that. Splits:

mile: 81.3/76.9/77.4/77.8 - 5:13.5
4R
1320: 77.4/76.3/75.9 -3:49.7
3R
880: 72.2/73.0 - 2:25.2

The mile was quicker than I had hoped, shooting for no faster than Monday's 5:17. After hitting the quarter a bit slow, overcompensated the next two laps and then settled into that faster rhythm the rest of the way. 3/4 was as I had hoped to do it, although a couple seconds quicker than expected. Before the 800 I changed into spikes. A small amount of tightness in the left calf on the first two (longer, slower) reps, but nothing that felt unmanageable. Noticed the difference right away going from flats to spikes, i.e. a thin heel wedge to almost no heel wedge. Quicker of course but more stress on the calf. Hoping to run something just under 2:30, but with zero pace sense from lack of track work I rolled through 440 much quicker than expected. Then with 100 to go I nearly trampled a pack of 10 year old girls standing in lane 1 just as they were starting en masse as I passed by. Many thanks to their idiot coach for that. I was convinced I had spiked one of them which led to profuse apologies while running while trying to get wide. In dodging them I felt the beginnings of a telltale twinge in the calf. Slowed down the last 20m to avoid catastrophe, spent the next two minutes putting direct pressure on the trigger point of gastroc. Stood up, took two steps and knew I was done running fast for the evening. Cooldown was a slow and yet still somewhat dicey affair. Avoided another reaggravation by the narrowest of margins. Quite clear that I'm not ready to be wearing spikes, which means I'll toe the line Sunday in the same shoes I wore running the marathon and up Pikes Peak. Given where I was a week ago I'm happy to be able to toe the line at all.

No comments: