11/15/11

Sun 11/13 - AM half marathon in 1:21

Ugly ugly effort on the NH seacoast. Started out feeling relaxed but also with a strong inkling I had bitten off more than I could chew even though the pace was modest at best. The real bs started just after five miles when I slowly came to realize my left soleus was locking up. This came as quite a surprise although maybe it shouldn't have been given the stiffness in the left ankle/heel over the past week or so. It got tighter and stiffer with each step from there on out. Layout of the course is such that I could have stopped around 7.5 mile mark and gotten a ride back to the start but instead I stubbornly soldiered on. Lost the last money spot soon after that, no real surprise given I couldn't run anything resembling a decent pace anymore. Still persisted for a pair of shoes, which I ended up winning because the race was (as expected) quite non-competitive after the top 3. Limped through the last 5k and jogged it in across the line. Did some work on the calf after the race, very tender and sore of course, remains to be seen how much of a setback this will be. More worrisome even than the calf which will heal in time was the tight heavy feeling in both hammies that got progressively worse as well. Something that's been bugging me for six weeks or so.

No comments: