10/17/11

Sun 10/16 - AM 2:43 marathon

Solid 17 mile threshold run, followed by an inexorable fade. Given how little preparation specific to this distance I've done in the past two months, the way things unfolded was no surprise. Still a worthwhile experience despite the thoroughly unimpressive final time and final 4 miles that dragged on forever. And of course it wouldn't be a marathon without a pit stop, in this case just after 30k. Stomach issues continued after the race as well, not sure the true cause but things have been unsettled for the past few days and I had a feeling it might haunt me during the race. Became uncomfortable around the halfway point, and got gradually worse from there until the bathroom break. I feel badly for whoever might have tried to use that porta-potty after I did. While there are surely metabolic reasons for the flagging pace, there was also some definite booty-lock going on. Hamstrings not able to put forth the necessary range of motion to maintain the pace as the 2 hour mark approached. Very nice course for this type of thing, no major hills to speak of and long flat stretches. Wind was an issue in places, esp. 13-17. By that time I was running alone, in fact the last 15 miles or so there was very little company. I was lining up the guy ahead of me on the second loop without really trying, but the bathroom break took care of that and I knew it would. Passed just before 25, at that point I didn't care one bit, playing out the string. Goal was to win my age group, I figured that was in the bag (it was), and besides there was nothing I could do about it by then. Numbers tell the story:

5:52
5:52
5:52
6:04
5:56
6:01
5:55
5:57
5:53
5:54
5:53
5:55
6:00
6:05
6:06
6:08
6:11
6:21
7:03 (pit stop)
6:20
6:23
6:29
6:45
6:35
6:44
6:55

No comments: