7/31/09

Fri 7/31 - AM Longs Peak hike

8 hours from start to finish, ran for about 80 minutes at the beginning and then quite sporadically on the way down. Started just before 5:00 to avoid t-storms that never came. The mountain presented its challenges, which of course is what made it worth doing in the first place. Got increasingly ridiculous close to the summit, which was completely enveloped by clouds. A bummer as this left the summit a dimly visible collection of rime-covered rocks. The summit experience left me cold for the next 90 minutes or so as the descent went through exposed and very windy areas. Finally warmed up as I got back to the treeline. Descending the steepest parts left my legs more tired than I expected, but not overly exhausted at the end. The altitude didn't affect me the way it did hiking Mt. Elbert, certainly as acclimated to it as I'll ever be by now.

No comments: