10/12/08

Sat 10/11 - 80 minutes incl. 2x4.5 miles

AM - another double tempo, hillier course than the last time. I thought I knew what I was getting into but the all-uphill second mile was steeper than expected. The mostly-downhill third mile was also steeper than I would have liked and fairly jarring. With some twinging in right hammie, I had to hold back a bit on the downhill sections as well. Feeling sluggish during the short 10 minute warmup, which carried over into the first mile of the first go-round. Break between loops was a bit over 15 minutes, again more than it ideally should due to the start being just a bit later than advertised. Mile splits as follows, first loop on the left:

6:04 - 5:24
6:25 - 6:11
5:48 - 5:32
5:46 - 5:31
2:20 - 2:38 (short on the first loop, stopped just over 100m from finish line)

In the race itself, I got sucked out a bit the first mile before the second mile devastated everyone. The only person who ran that mile under 6:00 was the race winner. I nearly caught up to the guy in second but had no motivation to push any further and settled into an appropriate rhythm the rest of the way. Overall I accomplished what I had hoped with the effort. Perfect weather today, a spectacular day to be outside. In lieu of a possible PM run I went on various short hikes during the afternoon.

No comments: