9/15/08

Sun 9/14 - AM 70 minutes incl. Josh Billings 6m run leg

33:02 with mile splits as follows:

5:19
5:29
5:25
5:47
5:21
5:41

one of the more oppressively humid days I've ever had to deal with. As if it needs to be any harder with this course. Not that hot after raining most of the night, which had me deluded into thinking that I could actually run a decent time this year. Those hopes went by the boards when I felt myself starting to overheat during the third mile while only matching the splits from last year's mediocre effort. In fact this year's effort was superior despite the slower time, said difference in time being totally from the last mile. Ran the last 3 miles on fumes, both literally and figuratively thanks to the diesel-spewing lead truck that was driving too close. Drove myself past the point of exhaustion as I was in mortal fear of being caught by Pat Moulton, as noted here. As it turns out I had an 11 minute head start on him so no need to worry but hindsight was no comfort at the time when I was flogging myself. Finally realized it was in the bag after five miles, at which point I lost all motivation to continue pressing. Felt like stopping and taking a nap during the uphill sixth mile. Finished drenched with sweat and convinced that I had run like crap but in looking at the other runners' times the conditions made it brutal for everyone. 10 minute soak in the pond post-race was the best part of the day as it brought my core temp back down.

No comments: