5/25/08

Sat 5/24 - AM 70 minutes incl. 5m road race in 26:29

A less than spectacular effort on this course but enough to get the win (shoes) and course record ($) I was shooting for. It was a really, really soft record. Mile splits of 5:05, 5:12, 5:17, 5:31, and 5:25 (walk/jogging the last 100 yards, either the 4 mile mark was off or the course as a whole was a bit short). Took over the lead at about 1.5 miles, then wilted arond 3. I had hoped to race for four miles then get a headstart on the cooldown the last mile, but the competition was close enough that I had to keep the effort going until 4.5 before the win felt safe and even then I was worried about time after the slow 4th mile split. Overall the effort expended didn't match the times I was seeing the last 3 miles. Course had some gentle rollers but nothing formidable, there was a gusty breeze that as ever seemed to always be in my face. More of a factor I think was the AM start, evening practices have been going noticeably faster then morning races lately.

No comments: