1/29/18

Week of 1/15-1/21

Mon 1/15 - PM 45 minutes easy plus 30 minutes elliptigo. Cold, windy and gross all around. Cut the run short to get inside and the elliptigo was a welcome option which I was glad to take advantage of.

Tue 1/16 - PM 55 minutes incl. 7x600. Idea was to start at 3k pace and work down from there. While the pace at the start was slower than 3k (I hope) and the 3.5 minute recoveries seemed extravagantly long, the pace did drop particularly on the third rep and again on the last two. Ran the final rep alone after having company the first six and the difference was telling, at my limit and not able to match the penultimate split time. Splits:
2:00, 1:58.8, 15:4.8, 1:53.7, 1:52.8, 1:48.1, 1:49.8

Wed 1/17 - PM 40 minutes very easy. Puttering around after a very late start following another drag-ass tired Wednesday. The typical pattern after these late workouts on Tuesday nights I'm afraid. Taking the zero would have been the more sensible option in hindsight. Ran some on the rail trail which is covered in snow again after the morning's weather. Not too deep but deep enough to be a nuisance.

Thu 1/18 - PM 55 minutes easy. Similar to yesterday but stayed off the snow-covered rail trail. Realized within the first few minutes I was still quite fried and took it easy from there.

Fri 1/19 - PM 50 minutes incl. 6x35 second pickups, Longfellow loop. Not feeling particularly inspired or energetic. Left piriformis and hamstring have felt better as well.

Sat 1/20 - AM 45 minutes easy, similar to Wednesday's run with a mix of rail trail and roads in Maynard. Less snow to deal with, or at least it's more packed down.

Sun 1/21 - AM 40 minutes incl. track DNF. Disappointing and to be honest demoralizing stinker. Not that I've been feeling like a million bucks lately but I thought I had developed some modest fitness. Even if that's the case, it's clear that I'm too tired to use it at the moment. Felt the fatigue from the moment I woke up and no amount of caffeine was going to help. Still, I had no idea it would be so hard to run 38 second laps, something that lasted for the first km before I could feel myself starting to fade. Hit the mile in around 5:08 or so, not that far off my seed time in fact. However, given I thought the seed time was conservative and I was running DFL by a solid 20 yards at that point there was no reason to continue. The unimpressive effort felt like it was much more strenuous in terms of the aftermath, with the post-race headache and general muscle soreness.

No comments: