3/10/16

Sat 3/5 - AM 45 minutes incl. 5k race

Athletic tourism in the desert. Didn't sleep particularly well after getting in far too late last night, which led to a distinct lack of vigor when it came time to warm up. Which was delayed by a futile search for an available bathroom, alas. Thankfully I got to see most of the course which was a good thing as it was the most windy convoluted layout I've seen in a long while, perhaps ever. Not very hilly but so many sharp turns and corners, plus some loose sand which made for what I knew would be a slow running layout. Covered most of the course even if it did take me uncomfortably close to the scheduled start time. Established my position in the field within 400m of the start and other than a guy who passed me just before the mile and faded soon after, there were no changes to that. Feeling plenty tired by the end, although certainly not feeling like I was in a position to race particularly well to begin with. Being top old fart was the only motivation in the end, successful in that regard at least. Unable to reel in anyone ahead of me which was mildly frustrating. A long leisurely cooldown would have been nice but it wasn't to be as I had to make it back to the hostel to clean up and pack before making the trip back home. There are worse ways to spend the last morning in Tucson.

No comments: