3/22/16

Sat 3/19 - AM 50 minutes incl. 5k road race

Windblown out and back 5k near the ocean in Marshfield. Somewhat tired and bedraggled from the moment I woke up in the morning, not expecting anything earth-shattering as a result. Chilly with a persistent and stiff NW wind hammering away all day. With the out-and-back layout this made for a tough headwind on the way out and a tailwind push on the way back. According to the mile markers, the first mile went in just over 5:20 and the second in just over 5:30. If this is accurate I apparently rallied just a bit over the last mile, not expected given that there was a gentle uphill stretch there. The fun was dampened somewhat by the right calf twinging during the last half mile of the race, something that caught me completely by surprise. Cooldown got neglected as I got stuck waiting for the awards ceremony to start, ended up waiting forever it seemed. By the time I was able to get out and jog a few easy minutes the legs felt really stiff and the left patellar tendon area was unexpectedly sore. I had originally planned on doing an afternoon shakeout but a very long nap ate up that time block.

No comments: