10/27/15

Sat 10/24 - AM 85 minutes incl. half marathon

Falmouth. Race went reasonably well although I had some concern about how I'd hold up following a night of restless sleep, prewaking what was already an obscenely early alarm. Combination of that and the underlying ongoing fatigue of the past two plus weeks, I was fully prepared to be quite conservative from the outset. Definitely running for place and not time. Happily, the field was not as competitive as last year's edition. By the time we hit the incorrectly marked first mile, I was at the tip of the spear side by side with the eventual winner and not feeling at all uncomfortable. Soon after that we were hauled in by an energetic chatty kathy who as it turned out was the guy who reeled me in just after 9 miles a year ago. He kept right on going out the front dragging the other guy with him, but within a couple miles his audacious move started backfiring on him and I began reeling him in. Having resigned myself to finishing third this was a pleasant realization. Caught up sometime around the halfway mark, took a couple miles to shake him after that. Enough separation the last 4 miles that the outcome wasn't really in doubt although I had to work right to the 13 mile mark to ensure that this was the case. Cleared the splits off my watch by mistake afterward but hit 3 in just under 18 minutes, 5 in 29:52, and a string of miles at or just under six minutes from there on out. Overcast morning, cool but not cold and something of a breeze. Cooldown consisted of riding the bike along the rail trail with the SO which was the highlight of the day.

No comments: