2/16/15

Sat 2/14 - PM 75 minutes incl. 6x6 minute pickups

Fresh Pond. Originally the plan was to race on the track today. However, that went by the boards as the meet schedule was dramatically compressed thanks to yet another snowstorm and I did a piss-poor job of anticipating this (i.e. showing up early). In fact this may be the first time I ever missed a race due to being late for check-in. Furious at myself for all of 10 minutes before realizing it was likely for the best and that I needed another mile race on the track like I needed a hole in the head. Turned the car around and headed to Fresh Pond which I knew would be free of cars if nothing else. In fact the conditions were exactly the same as Levittown yesterday, packed snow all the way around. With the trail runners footing was manageable if not ideal. Warmed up with one loop to see how slippery it was and then started in with the pickups, with 90 second recoveries between each. Feeling the effort by the last one, legs getting a little wobbly from the mini-slippage, but able to get through six instead of pulling the plug at five which I'm taking as a victory. Tried to gradually incease the pace within each rep, with some success at least early on. Blowing snow made it a more memorable experience for sure.

No comments: