12/15/14

Sun 12/14 - double, 80 minutes total incl. 5k road race

AM - 45 minutes incl. 5k road race. Two weeks in a row of running 16:30. This week's course was certainly more challenging than the dead flat layout last week, but a more favorable starting time and less wind today. Time was of less concern though, as I found myself in the unexpected and unwelcome position of having to make the race from the front. In fact I led basically the entire race. Two-time defending champ didn't show which is the only reason this was the case. Made a conscious effort to hold something back the first few minutes, but sensing people itching to make moves made me drop the hammer somewhat just before the mile, reached in just over 5:10. By the time I got to the second mile mark in 10:25 or so I had the feeling that I had overdone it between 1.5 and 2 and would surely pay for it near the end. In fact the gradual uphill just after that didn't treat me well at all and I had to scale back to keep from blowing up completely. To my surprise I wasn't passed and the gap actually built up a bit. Threw in a couple of blind corner surges, or tried to, leading up to the final gradual downhill stretch. In the end I was peeking over my shoulder a lot and trying not to lock up completely. When it was clear the deal was sealed I relaxed some which is partly why the third mile was substantially slower than the first two. Not that I wasn't slowing down regardless. As nice a day as one could hope for at this time of year, wind from the NW earlier in the morning but it died down somewhat. Very short cooldown.

PM - 35 minutes very easy, Watertown. Along the river's edge. A nice afternoon and nice company. Very relaxed which is all I had in me. Calves sore but not as much as after last Sunday's road effort.

No comments: