2/10/14

Sun 2/9 - AM 55 minutes incl. 5k road race

West Acton. Yes I am stupid enough to follow up yesterday's dud with a totally unnecessary 5k jaunt. While the course had some nostalgia value there was absolutely no reason to be flogging myself on a day when a nice mellow ski jaunt or at most easy putter jog would have been perfectly sufficient. My motivation in fact was to cruise/tempo, win my age group and get a copy of Bill Rodgers' book for my trouble. In fact his book wasn't the one being offered as a prize and I didn't even get the book even though I was the first old fart finisher. Such is life but it merely emphasized the ill-advised nature of the whole day. Right leg was quite stiff and sore from the get-go, didn't improve much over a somewhat lengthy warmup and felt like absolute ass the first few minutes of the race. To the extent that I thought we were running 5:40 pace or so and found out it was actually north of 6 minutes. This left me embarrassed enough to make a move (relatively speaking) and covered the second hillier mile in a slightly faster time. From there ran it in just quick enough to hold off the next guy behind me not that it mattered one jot. Right leg stiffened up soon after finishing, cooldown was a crawl. I had thought about skiing later in the afternoon but motivation was at zero. All the caffeine I ingested yesterday that kept me up until the wee hours didn't help things either. In general, motivation and energy at low ebb and this fool's errand did nothing to improve that.

No comments: