11/5/12

Sun 11/4 - AM 50 minutes incl. 5k road race

Flat and dull, not unexpectedly. Spent the "extra hour" from setting the clocks back sleeping in, and then some. Once I got to the race site, not feeling much in the way of motivation to warm up. A stiff wind didn't help much on that count. Spent the entire race in second place. Any chance of winning was over pretty much instantly, although I kept the delusion alive for 800m or so before turning my focus to what was behind instead of what was in front. Seemed like the next guy was closer than I would have liked, found at the turnaround that I had about 25 seconds cushion. Spent the second, downhill half of the course playing keep away. The last 800 I eased back in stages until it was more of a steady pace. In hindsight I could have shut it down sooner but who cares. Mile splits were 5:15, 5:45 and 5:30ish. Given the wind was as usual in our faces most of the first half, these splits don't quite reflect how much more effort I put into the front end. Calf was somewhat tight warming up, didn't bother me much while racing or cooling down but remains stiff. As obnoxious as the out and back, up then down course is this event has grown on me. Cooldown was on the short side.

No comments: