8/13/12

Sun 8/12 - double, 70 minutes total incl. 10k race

PM - Leadville 10k, out and back, down and then back up. Something like 500 feet of elevation loss from the start at 10,200' to the turnaround point. This made for a mostly gentle slope actually perfect for getting good turnover. Not that this was the least of my concerns as I wanted to get through it without embarassing myself and blowing up on the return trip back up the road. No idea really how to pace myself, and I could tell I wasn't alone in that. Fairly cautious at first, mostly desparate to get it over with by the end. The last mile it felt like my head was going to explode, good practice for next week I suppose. Didn't bother with the watch, splits being pointless in an event such as this although it would have been interesting to compare the two halves of the race. Managed to hold a spot in the top 5 the entire way, passed the two early leaders on the way back up, but also passed by a college kid and his 16 year old brother who appeared to actually know what they were doing. I figured them for locals, turns out they're from Iowa. WTF. In fact, the top 5 were all flatlanders, as this race is just an afterthought compared to the rest of the series. Finished feeling quite tired and ready to take a nap, which I never got around to. Cooldown didn't happen either, no interest in moving much, especially anything up or down.

later PM - 15 minutes very easy jog barefoot on the Lake County HS football field. Delayed cooldown, as in 6 hours after finishing the race. Very lush carpet of well-irrigated grass, very impressive for a field at this elevation, but also the lumpiest athletic field I've ever seen. Encircled by a track that is nothing more than a paved strip. Did some stretching after the jog which was much needed after the race and traipsing around town afterward.

No comments: