5/4/12

Thu 5/3 - PM 55 minutes incl. 1600-1200-800-400

Fitness check that became a reality check, alas. I had grandiose plans of doing a 3k time trial, starting at 73 pace for the first km then 72 then 71. Plan B was the cutdown that I did instead, however the idea was that I'd commit to one or the other and stick with it. Instead I got through 600m of the putative time trial before realizing that increasing the pace wouldn't be happening, and 200m later I realized that maintaining the pace for that long wouldn't be possible either. This led to the latest course correction ever, where I switched over to the cutdown interval workout in in medias res. Had I done the cutdown from the get-go I never would have gone out so fast however, the 1600 would have started at 77 or so with a goal time of 5:05 for the whole thing. Instead, the splits went as follows:

73.3/73.7/73.4/74.7 - 4:55.1
4R
75/74.5/74.8 - 3:44.3
3R
74/74.2 - 2:28.2
2R
73.1

Not exactly scintillating splits. Overall feeling quite flat. Unlike the last time I did this workout it was a matter of holding on to the pace and trying not to fall apart too much. I'd like to ascribe this dud to underlying fatigue and leftover effects of the busy long weekend incl. the various extracurricular activities. However I'm guessing that's only part of it, and there's also a little overestimation of fitness going on here.  Until and unless I get some more rest it's difficult to know how much it's the former vs. the latter. Whatever the case, expectations for upcoming races will be adjusted accordingly, and the track 10k is doubtful at best. While the adductor was a cause of concern during the warmup, it held up well enough to the workout itself. Weather conditions continue to be rather gloomy with stubborn overcast and temps that refuse to be nudged over 50 degrees despite the forecasts to the contrary. However the wind wasn't that bad. 


No comments: