9/20/11

Sun 9/18 - AM 70 minutes incl. 10k road race

Final edition of the Lone Gull race in Gloucester. Went to bed too late, predictably after yesterday afternoon's long nap, and woke up feeling less than refreshed as a result. Nothing changed during the slow jog warmup. Standing on the starting line I felt not a whole lot different from Labor Day at Mt. Greylock, hoping it wouldn't go that poorly. Looking to expend as little effort as possible on the back end of my sandbagger's delight weekend double. This wasn't to be as someone who looked like age group competition decided to force the issue from the gun. No idea who he was although maybe I should have recognized him. Spent the first mile doing just enough to keep contact with the top 3. Passed the mile in 5:14, faster than I would have liked, and figured the pace would falter soon. In fact, the next two miles were both about the same number as I got in front of the ex-engineer and tried to consolidate the 3rd place spot. Unable to shake him w/o burying myself however. Course turned back to the north soon after halfway and in doing so turned into the wind that was coming off the water. Felt the pace slow immediately although the wind was only partly to blame as I was stalling anyway. Spent the second half doing just enough to hold my spot, kept waiting for a chance to let my foot off the gas but it never came. Mildly annoying but holding on to 3rd place and the reward that entailed made it worthwhile. A shame this race has seen its last, nice area which I shouldn't need a road race as an excuse to visit. Very slow 20 minute cooldown back and forth on the beach. Went for a casual bike ride in the afternoon, incl. marking the Longfellow Loop.

No comments: