6/20/11

Sat 6/18 - AM 90 minutes incl. Mt Washington road race

A solid effort, but undermined from the start by a lack of rest going into the race. Not sleeping quite enough through the week, but that was nothing compared to last night when the final rain shower of the day started pelting my tent at 11 pm and steadily picked up in intensity for the next four hours with water slowly making its way into the tent. Took forever to fall asleep, probably about 3 hours total before it was time to get up. Not in the best frame of mind after this needless to say. Felt vaguely nauseous while warming up (during one last rain shower, of course). Knew I would have to be super-conservative to avoid blowing up completely. And that was how it went, watching people I know I could run with steadily pull away, knowing it would be inadvisable to try to stick with them or worse yet reel them in. Hoping I could keep it together and maybe pick off people who couldn't. The first part of that equation worked out but it became clear that no one was coming back to me except for one guy I was able to catch at the very end. Spent two thirds of the race alone, much of that in pea soup conditions with only a vague idea of where the road was up ahead. Difficulty of the course about what I expected although the final super-steep section was a bit oversold IMO. Only split to report was at halfway, a bit over 33 minutes. Cooldown pretty much non-existent, and consisted of some light jogging to and from the summit building.

No comments: