9/7/09

Mon 9/7 - AM 70 minutes incl. Mt. Greylock race

Felt like taking a nap both before and after the race, which kind of sums it up. This fact reflected in the rather pokey time (57:40), at least compared to previous attempts at this course. Slept well last night, al fresco wrapped in layers of blankets, but not well enough apparently. That being the case, held my own on the course although some of the steeper stretches nearly put me under. Adductor not as gummed up as it's been the last few mornings but still stiff at the start, took over half the race to loosen up. The flatter sections were more awkward for it than anything else. Happily, the core area didn't tighten up after the race the way it did on Thursday, although this had as much to do with the nature of the course as with any improvement in the area. After days of mostly clear skies the lower thicker clouds rolled in overnight and spent the second half of the race socked in. It certainly takes some of the fun out of the experience of running the auto road, to say nothing of the non-existent view at the top. Perfunctory slow warmup and even slower cooldown at the top.

3 comments:

Gayle Rebovich said...

Mark!!!!! I thought I saw you running at Walden the other day, so looked you up on Google and found your running blog! How are you? What are you doing nowadays? I finished my neurology residency last June and am now a Stroke Fellow at BIDMC.... Still running, of course.... Hope you are well!

Mark Mayall said...

Gayle!!!!! That was me in all likelihood you saw the other day. Hopefully you've discovered the trails around Walden yourself, great stuff. I fix computers now in Wellesley and coach track there as well. Congratulations on finishing your residency, I'm sure the 24 hr. shifts were delightful. Hope all is well with you.

BTW I bumped into Eileen Flannery the other day, first time we'd seen each other in years. She was getting ready to take her son to Mt. Katahdin

Gayle Rebovich said...

I've been running around the Walden trails forever - the greatest part is jumping into the pond at the end of the run! :) I haven't done a race in eons ... but I do still run 6 days a week (unfortunately, often at 5am) and do weights and yoga and biking etc etc. Looks like you race all the time - that's fantastic!!! I'll certainly hope to "run" into you at Walden sometime.
BTW, my email is .... gayle.rebovich@gmail.com and I'm on Facebook.