3/30/08

Sat 3/29 - AM 75 minutes incl. Lincoln tempo in 24:06

Not quite fully awake for this kind of effort, as I expected. I find it harder and harder to do hard efforts in the morning. Unseasonably cold with a brisk WNW wind that made it feel colder and also acts as an impediment on 3/4 of the course when it's coming from that direction. As such I wasn't in the mood. I resolved to try and get to 3 miles in 16 minutes and take it from there. What followed was the first instance ever that I can think of wherein the mile splits were progressively faster, to wit:

5:23
5:20
5:17
3:09
4:57

This pattern suggests some sandbagging the first mile but I prefer to think of it as not succumbing to the usual urge to blast out the first uphill 800m. I knew the effort would have to increase the second mile to come close to 10:40, this effort put things right in the neighborhood of a time trial. Attempted with limited success to relax and hold back again the next 1.6m, still closer to time trial than tempo effort but at that point I just wanted to get it over with. 15 second rule was in effect the last mile which suggests that I wasn't completely over my head with the pace the first three miles. Still feeling the effects of Tuesday's longer workout, more in terms of general fatigue than specific soreness in the legs.

No comments: