1/30/08

Tue 1/29 - PM RLTAC just over 60 minutes incl. 2x800, 1600, 3x800

Unmitigated disaster as I strained my right calf (upper lateral gastroc area) on the last repeat, which was supposed to be another 1600. A possibility I perhaps should have seen coming, right calf had been tight for going on a month now, and lately the area hadn't been responding well to stretching. Needless to say, racing 25 laps in spikes the other night and doing treadmill runs on a slight incline hasn't helped matters. It tightened up during the first two 800s tonight, after the 1600 I did some direct pressure which I thought loosened it up. In fact, before the fateful final rep I was mulling over whether to do a couple of 400s or not, so unaware was I of how vulnerable the area was. Forced to make an acceleration in order to take over pacing duties halfway through the final 1600 while heading into the curve and it just went. Next time I'm in that situation and the outgoing leader doesn't ease up I'll just stay right where I am, thank you. I knew right away it was bad, maybe not just how bad. After some more direct pressure I tried hobbling through a 10 minute cooldown which in hindsight was a mistake. Got home and iced it before bed but getting to sleep was no picnic. Remains to be seen how quickly I can bounce back from this but it looks like my indoor season may well be over.

For what it's worth the numbers were as follows:

2:22.7
2:23.2
4:50.8
2:21.8
2:24.3
2:24 kaput

2.5R after each 800, 4R after the 1600. The pace was difficult but not impossible to manage, had to focus to stay on task during the 1600 while 800s were much easier to get through.

No comments: