1/1/08

Tue 1/1 - AM 80 minutes incl. 10k road race in 33:20

Ran a race in Salisbury for the first and last time, it was nice to see the water but the wind coming off it was something else entirely. The strength of the gale increased as the day wore on. Course was a a pair of out and backs along the shore, with the SSE wind direction this meant half the race the wind was in our faces--most of the first mile and the last 2.5 miles in this case. As I was legitimately worried about my hat flying off, I'd say it slowed me down. The stretches with a tailwind didn't feel as easy as one would hope OTOH. First split time feedback was at 2 miles which was 10:30, next mile 5:18, then 5:22, 5:30, and 6:40 from mile 5 to the finish. Feeling especially worn-down and vulnerable the 4th and 5th miles as I was being stalked while we turned back into the breeze. Mustered a great deal of focus on the sixth mile and pulled away from the stalker, but the 5:20 pace level was definitely the upper limit. I wish I could say it was tempo but the effort was beyond that the second half of the race. Somewhat peaked after the past few days' mix of intensity and volume. Warmup and cooldown were both in the 20 minute range. Wind-driven mix of rain and snow made the cooldown both very slow and very unpleasant.

No comments: