12/29/07

Sat 12/29 - AM, then PM 80 minutes incl. 3k-1600 double

First crack at faster track running in a long time, and first double in an even longer time. I envisioned running the first 2400m of the 3k at 36/lap and then pick it up substantially for the last 3 laps, with the idea being that 36s would feel relaxed enough to be 5k pace. This ended up being the case more or less, although it felt a bit rushed early on. Legs felt stiff and creaky on the pokey 20 minute warmup, a little better after drills and strides. Splits a bit fast through 1600 (4:46 evenly split), it felt like a controlled deceleration for the next 800m which went in 2:25. Picked it up on the antepenultimate lap as planned, hoping to do the last 600 in under 1:40 but after a 34 I realized I couldn't go any faster. Held this pace the rest of the way for a final time of 8:53.20. This was followed by a dry scratchy throat and then a coughing fit, most unwelcome. Hopefully just a reaction to the dry air.

Cooldown after the 3k was another 20 minute crawl followed by a long wait, almost 3 hours in fact. After sitting around for most of that time I found my legs feeling quite flat and heavy even after a brief jog and some strides to wake them up. After the 3k I had fixed upon trying to run 34s and maybe shading 4:30 with a kick, but I knew I'd be dogmeat if I went out too hard. Leading off I was toe-to-toe with 8 young whippersnappers (i.e. idiots) who thought nothing of dropping the first 200 in 31 seconds even though none of them had any chance of running faster than 4:20. Knowing what was coming didn't make it any less demoralizing as I hit 200 in just under 33, DFL by 3 yards. Got to 800 in 2:16 (67,69) at which point I was strictly thinking one lap at a time. Third quarter was the pits, legs felt heavier with each step and I was going nowhere in the field even as the morning glories began their inevitable fade. Hit 1200 in 3:27 which was appalling, but also provided needed focus as I picked it up immediately and kept it up through the finish. Ability to respond under duress somewhat makes up for getting stuck in the third lap doldrums. Finished the leg in just under 4:33 which is realistically about all I was capable of today. Final cooldown was a very easy 15 minutes. Overall the experience was worthwhile as I got the feedback I was looking for.

No comments: