10/18/07

Wed 10/17 - PM 75 minutes, incl. 4800m tempo and 2(400, 300, 200)

Did the workout on the track after a 20+ minute warmup. Much better energy level than yesterday after a better night's sleep, but left leg problematic from the word go. High hammie felt stuck during the warmup, took time to do some compressions on it and the ilium area before diving in with the workout. The hammie felt better after this but for the rest of the workout the lateral left calf area felt like garbage esp. when pushing off. The two areas are of course related and the soreness shared among them is no coincidence.

Aiming for 5:30 pace on the 3m tempo, but the groove I settled into was a bit faster and I stayed with it, consistent splits of 5:25, 5:23, and 5:24. 5:30 probably would have been a true tempo effort, what I ended up running felt relaxed enough but not necessarily sustainable for 10-13 miles, which is my simplified definition of tempo pace. 5 minute recovery after this and then did two sets of "turnover" where I planned on going 500-300-200 all at 18 sec/100m (i.e. 72 pace). The first rep felt strained and so tiring that I bailed at 400 instead and 5-3-2 became 4-3-2, with recovery time equal to the time I had just run, with a lap jog between the two sets. In hindsight I should have tacked on a 100 to each set but such creative thinking was not happening in the moment. Hit the planned pace or just a bit quicker but it was by no means easy. Not straining but working really hard. I was reminded that I haven't been doing strides enough lately. I thought about doing a third set but mindful of Saturday's workout and how the left leg had been feeling, I chose to end it after two. Near-perfect conditions, calm with mild temps. Took some time to stretch before cooling down, left leg tightened up anyway and lateral calf/tib anterior area was sore the rest of the evening. It will bear watching.

No comments: