8/10/16

Tue 8/2 - PM 70 minutes incl. 10 mile road race

Summer of Suck continues. Decided last week that I could handle an event of this duration and do it in 58-59 minutes given favorable conditions. While the weather indeed held and was reasonably dry and not too hot for this time of year, I overestimated my fitness substantially. Ran the first mile too quickly in 5:40, the next one in 5:50, and the next three in an average of 5:55 or so. This was the first indication that things might go sideways as those three miles were relatively flat. Sixth mile trended up and just as I was starting to struggle with that two guys who were obviously at least as old as me cruised on by looking like a million bucks. Last two miles went in 12:45 which is almost two minutes slower than the same stretch went the last time I did this race four years ago. Once the effort pushed back I crumbled to put it bluntly. Tired and flat is no way to go through life.

No comments: