1/26/15

Sun 1/25 - PM 50 minutes incl. track DNF

Should have known better. Instead, capped off a miserable week dominated by illness with an ill-advised attempt to better my SB in the mile. Locked into 4:40 pace right away, slowed down just a bit from the quarter to the half but I could feel the pace slowing while the effort was getting a lot harder very quickly. Pulled off 3/4 of the way through the fifth lap upon realizing that there was no way of running faster than I did two weeks ago in my current state. Had I stubbornly persisted there's no way I would have gone any faster than 4:46 or so. In fact I felt like absolute dog poo the first 5 minutes of the warmup jog but then I think the caffeine kicked in and gave me a false sense of being able to run worth a damn. I'd like to think stopping when I did minimized the damage but obviously, it would have been better still to take a pass. Still coughing, of course, although it is more productive and more productive still after today's running. While there's no doubt my breathing peak flow levels aren't optimal at the moment, in the immediate aftermath of the race it felt more like the overall lingering fatigue played much more of a role in foiling my competitive plans. Right calf feeling a lot more frayed than I would like, even taking into mind the running in spikes. Not like I overdid it in training this week but obviously related to the right hammie soreness the past few days. I'd like to think I can get it feeling better by next weekend, which now is crammed with racing thanks to today's DNF. At least I'm reasonably assured the accursed throat infection will be in the rear view by then. With the looming weather apocalypse bearing down on the area training is about to get a lot more problematic.

No comments: