1/11/15

Sat 1/10 - PM 70 minutes incl. track mile

First track mile since last February. In a better spot fitness-wise but as has been the case with each of the track races so far this winter, I've been incapable of getting the most out of whatever shape I'm in. This time around, felt a bit flat and tired before warming up after a somewhat restless night sleeping. In the self-sabotage department the burrito I had for lunch a good 5+ hours before the race was far too spicy, something I didn't even consider at the time. Felt like it might be my undoing while warming up and while this was not at all the case, an unnecessary added layer of discomfort and my breathing may have been affected. As for the race itself I immediately got into 4:40 pace which is what I was aiming for. Maintained this speed more or less through the first half but it was taking more effort than I would have liked. From there it was an increasingly desperate fight against an ever so gradual but inexorable slow down. Tried to squeeze out a little more effort the last 300 but if anything, the last quarter of the race was the slowest. Finished feeling vaguely dissatisfied but also had the disttinct sense that it could have gone worse. Having not been in RLTAC since the NBIGP meet two years ago, I was struck by how dry the air was, uncomfortably so. I don't remember it being that way in all the years working out there. Extended the cooldown a bit, done in two sections.

No comments: