8/13/13

Sun 8/11 - AM 95 minutes

Portland loop/Upper Cascade Falls, Ouray. A classic case of having to earn spectacular views. Not at all sure how my legs would feel, esp. calves, after the race yesterday. More stiff than sore though, and still usable for what I had in mind which was a good deal of steep climbing. The Portland loop trail was relatively mild not counting the fact that it starts at somewhere around 8000' and rises 1000' to its highest point. A slog but spread out over enough distance that it was manageable. What nearly crushed my soul was the trail to the falls and Chief Ouray Mine, which involved climbing another thousand feet in maybe a mile or so. Viciously steep switchbacks coming one after the other. Not ashamed to say there were more than a few walking breaks as I didn't have the mojo to even attempt running the steepest bits after the first 6-8 minutes of climbing this thing. The views got better and better, not that I was in a mood to notice. Eventually reached the falls, a picturesque and potentially dangerous spot for sure, and took a decent break there before heading on to the bunkhouse of the mine. This was the most precariously and ridiculously situated structure I've ever actually set foot in in my life, perched on the side of a steep mountain as it is. Whatever they were mining must have been worth a great deal to justify lugging all the materials up the trail, near as I can tell there's no other way save a helicopter drop to get it there. I didn't realize until after looking up info on the mine that the actual mine building was just a short ways down the trail from the bunkhouse, which I mistakenly though was the end of the line. Bit of a bummer there but I was ready to get back regardless. Took many breaks on this run as it was. The descent, while not the nightmare I was anticipating, predictably turned my quads to jelly. Didn't do much of anything in the way of stretching afterward either, as it was on to Durango via the "Million Dollar Highway," the first few miles of which were some of the most terrifying driving I've ever done in my life. Pictures:



 Ouray from just below the Portland loop trailhead

 another ho-hum morning in the mountains


 part of the way up the switchbacks on the trail to the falls, hwy. 550 way way down below
 looking down the falls from the trail crossing
 looking up the falls from the trail crossing
 decades worth of graffiti on every surface
 exterior of the bunkhouse
view from the trail between the bunkhouse and the falls

No comments: