1/24/13

Wed 1/23 - PM 55 minutes incl. 4x880, 5x220

Hardly an impressive session, felt compelled to do something however. Compared to recent (failed) attempts at running on the track this counts as a qualified success I suppose, but the right thigh remains an issue. Overall it's getting better, although running fast on a track is not good for it and has to be retarding a more speedy recovery. Some stiffness during the warmup, enough to make me feel some ambivalence. Went with a modest mixed platter of threshold reps followed by faster shorter "glorified strides." The first three 880s all went in just over 2:39, roughly even split with a lap jog between each rep. Last one 2:42, and not really by choice. Overall these took far too much effort and this part of the workout left me wondering if I should even continue. Took 6+ minute break much of which was spent rolling on a lax ball. Things felt better after this but still not sure if I could make it through one 220 w/o locking up completely. However, the first one felt smoother than expected and I proceeded to rattle off four more, all of them between 35 and 36. Same lap jog (roughly a minute) for recovery. While I went in with the idea of doing six, I had edited that down to 5 after the forst part of the workout, so in the end I split the difference. By the last rep I could feel the hammie starting to stiffen up again and knew the point of diminishing returns had been reached.  Right leg mostly held together on the cooldown, although it did stiffen up some afterward on the ride home. Every step of the workout from warmup to cooldown was inside thanks to the deep freeze that's taken hold.

No comments: