10/22/12

Sun 10/21 - AM 80 minutes incl. 5k road race

Mediocre effort at best. The A game was nowhere to be found, feeling too flat from the moment I started the warmup. Dead flat course on Day Blvd., basically identical to the race I did here in July. With the wind at our backs on the way out, cruised through the mile in around 5:00 without undue effort. Soon after that the eventual winner went by me and I had hopes of hanging with him when we turned around and headed back into the wind. Unable to make this stick though, when I got to the turnaround contact had been lost and was consigned to spending the second half of the race being crushed by the wind. It became clear by mile 2 that closing the gap wasn't happening and I was feeling the effort more keenly than I would have liked anyway, so the remainder of the race was a holding action. Consolation prize was the age group win, vultured in fine fashion. Cooldown an easy 45 minutes around Castle Island with nice views of the ocean and tides and more big winds as well. Right calf got tight towards the end of the cooldown, unwelcome but not surprising.

No comments: