6/6/10

Sat 6/5 - AM 80 minutes incl. 10k road race

Not my day of days, even taking into account the fact I was looking for a controlled effort, i.e. a tempo run. Sharing the campground with the coyote that barked at regular intervals intul 4:30 AM didn't help. Considered bagging the thing, but I knew I wouldn't run a step all day otherwise. Barely awake even after caffeine ingestion. Heat was building as the race started, humidity of course always there. Went out at what I thought was a controlled effort but I knew after 2 miles I'd be slowing down significantly anyway. Just looking to get it over with at that point w/o damaging left iliopsoas too much. Splits of 5:44, 5:44, 5:56, 6:04, 6:15, 5:54 (what a rally), and a scintillating 1:40 for the last two tenths. The course was pleasant enough, relatively flat the first half with some roll after that, but I had stopped caring by that point. Very slow cooldown then off to find some relief from the crushing humidity before standing outside for what seemed like forever at the big kiddies' meet and included two cloudbursts. By the time that thing ended the humidity was at a truly obscene level. Good times.

No comments: